For weeks now, fliers have been showing up in mailboxes across the 39th District, making outrageous claims about Will Guzzardi and his positions.
1. Will wants more resources for public schools. Will supports increased funding for public schools, not cuts. He also supports a moratorium on all new charter schools. Will has spent the past few years fighting side-by-side with our community to keep Brentano Elementary open and organizing to pass an elected school board in Chicago. [Logan Squarist Q&A with Will Guzzardi, 2/5/14]
2. What Will actually wrote. This claim misleadingly cites the 2012 IVI-IPO Candidate Questionnaire as its source. In response to the question, “Do you support public funding for charter schools?” Will wrote: “If we stopped all public funding of charters, we’d be forcing them to close. I don’t oppose all charters across the board. I think that we need much stronger accountability measures for charter schools, and as a general principle, to support our public school teachers.”
3. Teachers unanimously endorse Will. Guzzardi is endorsed by the three largest teachers unions in Illinois, the Chicago Teachers Union, the Illinois Education Association, and the Illinois Federation of Teachers. [WillGuzzardi.com/endorsements]
4. Rep. Berrios has actively worked to take money away from Chicago public schools. Berrios was a lead sponsor of a voucher plan that would have taken away tens of millions of dollars from Chicago Public Schools. [Chicago Tribune, 4/23/10]
5. In 2012 Berrios was one of just a handful of “yes” votes on a failed bill that would have increased funding for charter schools. [Roll Call Vote, HB 4277 5/31/12; “Oppose HB 4277” CTU Blog, 5/9/12]
"The charge, of course, is patently untrue. And utterly shameless."
Toni Berrios's Claims About Will Guzzardi Just Aren't True
Do you like this page?